OK, now that we’ve shown our age with a pop-music pun that 90% of the audience will not get, we want to send you to the imgur link where Sir Keyboard Commando, whoever he may be, converts this piece of steel stock:
…to this replica of a Roman gladius, the short sword of the legions.
SKC made the sword from 1075 steel alloy by, essentially, cutting away everything that didn’t look like a Roman sword.
The page shows a photo essay of the whole process:
- laying out the outline with machinist’s layout die and a scribing tool;
- cutting the shape with a bandsaw;
- grinding to section;
- draw-filing to a smooth, ripple-free surface;
- heat-treating in a homemade furnace;
- tempering in a kitchen oven.
And best of all, he can say, “I made it myself!”