Since the new year, we’ve been running a statistical plug-in, and occasionally checking it. It’s not perfect and we’re open to a better one, but it is giving us some insights, which was the whole idea.
One thing it does well is provide a running tally of the most popular posts. The top level is the most common hit, simply weaponsman.com. But people who come in to a specific post are linked from somewhere, and some of these posts have generated lasting interest. A couple recent posts are always on the list, but there are also
- New Camo.. again? From February 23,2012, this is one of our ealier posts, but is our second most referred link even today. It describes the battles the Army has had trying to update its camo uniforms, after its initial unwise selection of the super-visible Uniform Camouflage Pattern. Rereading it, it’s embarrassing how badly edited it is. Yeesh. But it’s true and accurate: there is that.
- NRA Life Membership Deal was just what it said, a very steep discount on Life membership through having an existing Lifer sponsor you. It was published September 29, 2012 and has been the third most popular entry point this year. The NRA is not perfect, but it’s the lobby guns’ enemies fear. We’d love some feedback on whether this is still working. If you know us in meatworld, drop a line or ring if you need sponsored, and we’ll try.
- Ask a Weapons Man: 5.56 vs. .223? is another old post (February 1, 2012) and still gets over 1,000 hits a month. This is a perennial conflict people ask about, complicated by the fact that not every barrel maker marks his chambers with the reamer he actually used. The bottom line: you’re probably OK with any quality factory ammo in any quality gun, but if you fire 5.56 in a .223 chamber, watch for signs of high pressure.
- In AR-15 parts vanishing from shelves we observed the earliest signs of the present price/supply bubble, way back on May 23, 2012. We also rather presciently noted that:
“If Mr Obama is elected, and/or Congress winds up in Democratic hands, then expect the bubble to initially inflate at a faster rate, until the market prices in what the second-term Obama administration does. If he does nothing, expect the bubble to deflate some, and prices to go soft as buyers who overextended themselves in the buying spree are forced to cash out. If Washngton launches a round of attacks on gun rights, either by legislation or execive orders or rule-making, the bubble-driven high rate of inflation will continue indefinitely.”
We’re not going to say we told you so, just observe that this is our fourth most popular post of all time.
- In the sixth position is LLAD: Ranger School Welcomes Women, Drops Standards, even though the plan was for them to drop the standards first, then add the women. This very controversial post from May 15, 2012, and its sequels, may have forestalled this boneheaded plan. Or it may have been that the Army was, as usual for this Chief of Staff, aping the Marines, and the Marines’ women-in-infantry program is a most un-Corps-like shambles right now. The DOD suits still want to do this thing. You should never go full retard….
- And in eighth position, as the last “old” post in the top ten, is Saturday Matinee: Above Us the Waves. We never know who reads these things and, as you may have figured out, the movie reviews, especially the reviews of obscure movies, are a labor of love. Rereading that one, from June 2012, it was particularly good. The movie was particularly good, too.
If there is one lesson for us here, it is that continued readership comes from quality content. Those are all good posts for different reasons, and we’ll try to top them in 2013.