We’re trying really hard to think of something clever to say here. That’s not cerebrospinal fluid in the vapor state coming out of our ears, it’s just steam.
The Boring Statistics
This week’s statistics were:
- Posts: 28 posts — one extra (Saturday’s Breaking: Today’s “Refugees” Being Detained)
- Word count: about 16,800 (lower than usual).
- Central Tendency Measures: Mean and median were low at 600 and 473. What does that mean? We’re writing shorter posts.
- Posts below 100 words in length: 2. (See?)
- Posts over 2,000: 2
- Posts below 500: 15
- Posts over 1000: 2
Significant milestones: None observed.
Traffic continues to be satisfactory. Too early to call February. January was not just a five-year January-over-January record, but also an all-time record with almost 270,000 uniques for the month.
Comments This Week
Comments: 619 as of 1700 Sunday. (Fewer than last week).
Most commented post: Monday’s Flying With a Gun, with 76.
Second most commented (i.e. runner-up) was Wednesday’s Year of the Pistol-Caliber Carbine? Really?, with 53 comments.
Thank you all for reading and commenting.
The Week in Posts
Here’s the recap of our posts for this week: (If the links are not live, they will be fleshed out later).
- Subtropical Sunday is our usual Sunday post
- We describe Flying With a Gun into the airport where it’s recently been a problem
- Bad news: Yemen Raid: US Loses 1 SEAL & 1 MV-22 Osprey; 4 Injured
- When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have SUVs, and they’ll still run people over with ’em.
- We tip readers to A Deal on Cases from Midway. At least one of our readers stocked up!
- Mark Miller noticed something: US M17 Pistol Comes with Ball and Hollow-Point Ammo
- Why They Call it Reaper: MQ-1 Brings the FOOM! onto various deserving characters (and, unfortunately, their families and human shields. Sorry about that, look up “Dresden.”)
- Really, anything can kill you: When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Snow
- Iran Deploying AK-103 Rifles after cutting a deal with Russia.
- You can argue both sides of this proposition: Year of the Pistol-Caliber Carbine? Really?
- Warfare on the cheap: Operation Starvation: Mining in WWII, Again
- When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Trash Bags, although to be technical they were only used after the decedent was deceded.
- Following up: Traveling with a Gun, More Lessons Learned
- Due to an Imagination Failure… no W4 this week.
- The Navy Shoots Little Bitty Guns. Well, they’re usual size for us grunts, but considering the artillery that’s been packed on ships down through the years, 9mm ain’t much.
- We’re living in the future, kids. Paraplegic British Cop Walks, Thanks Israeli Inventor
- When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Craigslist Cannibals. That’s horrible. Sure, they can kill you, but they can’t eat you. That’s against the law!
- A weird case of transitional armament. Before Fighter Planes had MGs, One Had Two Lee-Enfields
- Ah, regulatory law and Chevron deference — may it die hard, and soon: You Can Now Buy these Lowers Again — But ATF Says they’re Illegal!
- There’s nothing new under the law: Guns and Gun Smuggling… AD 1628-29
- When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Knives (again to the ninety-ninth or so power). No new crimes, just new crumbs crimin’ the same old crimes.
- VA Management of “Veterans Choice”: Corrupt, or Just Incompetent? We’ll take “incompetent” based on the last 2+ years’ reporting.
- We throw a bunch of stuff at the wall in the Friday Tour d’Horizon, 2017 Week 05
- Breaking news from the Schwarzwald. HK’s Submission for New German Rifle: HK433
- Special Operations Truths: Some of the Best Fail Selection
- When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have BB Guns. This one happened where guns are outlawed.
- We watch ’em so that you don’t have to: Saturday Matinee 2017 05: Sniper: Special Ops (2016)
- Bringing us around to the recursive: That Was the Week that Was: 2017 Week 04.
Well, we’re probably going to look at what a new SECDEF and new service secretaries mean to the military; we’re definitely going to have more straight dope on the HK433 and the German rifle competition; and we’ve got a great video Monday on what was probably the greatest reverse engineering exploit of all time. Plus, we promise we’ll think of something for the Wednesday Weapons Website of the Week, next week.