Nope, this has nothing to with all the devastation that smoking visits on a body over 20, 30, or 40 years. This has to do with the devastation that smoking can bring in one big red FOOM if you’re a knucklehead about where you throw your butts.
Here in the ‘Shire, you’re about equally likely to burn to death as you are to be murdered, which is to say, not terribly likely. But just like your odds of murder go up with certain lifestyle choices, such as gang membership or dope dealing, your odds of dying screaming in fire or silently in fumes (before your already-dead body gets the luau treatment from the flames), go through the roof if you start throwing around things that are lit and burning.
The article doesn’t say, but what are the odds Jungle Juice® is also present at the scenes of these crimes?
Eleven New Hampshire residents died in unintentional residential fires last year. And every one of those deaths was preventable, according to the state fire marshal.
Eight of the 11 deaths were related to smoking, including the deaths of four members of one family in Manchester last June. Six involved smoking materials; two victims died after smoking while using oxygen.
Fire Marshal J. William Degnan said the toughest thing for those who investigate fatal fires is “seeing the pain and anguish of the surviving family members.”
In the case illustrated left, there probably weren’t any surviving family members to grieve because Mama Bear, Papa Bear and both Baby Bears crisp-fired to a crackly crunch in their own body fats. Cause? One of the adults (presumably) dropping their cigarette in the ratty old sofa on the porch. (Pro tip: outdoor furniture doesn’t have a lot of highly inflammable upholstery on it, a safety benefit you throw away when you use indoor furniture as outdoor furniture).
But we’ve got Moms Demanding Action here demanding that defense contractors in the state stop R&D, because gun deaths. Meanwhile other moms are throwing their damned cigarettes in all direction, cooking their own kids.
Manchester Fire Chief Daniel Goonan said … improper disposal of smoking materials continues to be a big problem in the city. And it’s especially dangerous on the exterior porches that are a common feature of multi-family buildings.
Residents often bring upholstered furniture outside and sit on the porches to smoke, he said. “It’s just a recipe for disaster,” he said.
That was determined to be the cause of the June 6 fire on Wilson Street that killed a couple and their two young sons. While the apartment had smoke detectors, the fire started on the outside porch, and by the time the alarm sounded, it was too late to escape, the chief said.
Fire is a powerful servant, and a terrible master.