This was a holiday and travel week combined, and while we held up our end apart from taking Thanksgiving off (all right: we held up our end until Saturday, where we didn’t post the Matinee and this on time), we saw a considerable defection of readers in the site stats… which we certainly hope was occasioned by you guys doing analog stuff with live human families.
Or playing video games, if that’s what you wanted to do. It’s a free country.
We were ahead of the scheduling curve throughout the week. We do warn that in the weeks ahead we may reduce the posting schedule a bit to accommodate meatworld life.
The Boring Statistics
This week’s statistics show a dramatic decline, both on our end and the reader end. In an average week we make 27 posts, and with Thanksgiving off we only posted 24, and only about 16,000 words. We posted about 3,000 less than usual, then. If we passed any significant milestone this week, we didn’t note it, but we have posted over 900,000 words this year so far (and you have helped us to a total of over 13,000 comments and counting this year). Our average post was 695 words long, and the median was 548, not a lot of shift there.
See, we told you the statistics were boring.
Comments This Week
Comments were predictably light as this is a major holiday week in the USA. All in all, there were only 222 comments this week, exactly two-thirds of the 333 on the clock for the prior week. Most commented post was Monday’s How Big Should a Recon Team Be? with 27.
The Week in Posts
Here’s the recap of our posts for this week:
- We called our Sunday admin rambling post Southland Sunday, because we were in Florida.
- Another interesting USG qualification, if an outdated one: Shoot Like a Fed II: The FBI Qualification 1997-2013.
- We ask How Big Should a Recon Team Be? and get some good replies in the comments by guys who’ve seen the elephant with a wide range of units (from several nations).
- Don’t bake the baby! When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Ovens.
- Hey, this one was a gun homicide. We’ve seen so many machete and baseball bat slayings that we weren’t expecting it!
- The Best Portfolio They’d Ever Seen –Bill’s 1942 semi conversion. “They” being Springfield Armory (the real one, not the importers of Croatian pistols) and “Bill” being William Ruger. Yeah, that Ruger.
- Guys had been asking about these, here’s a basic taxonomy of Rhodesian Mine Ambush Protected Vehicles 1975-80.
- Along with the new people having the same old accidents, there’s the occasional innovator who finds a new way to kill herself accidentally: When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Cryotherapy.
- Two unicorns walk into a gun auction: Ultra Rarities: Dardick 1100 and 1500 Pistols.
- Warning, you can’t un-see this abortion: Bubba’s Glock is Baaaaack! And, A Safe Alternative.
- Here’s a few words from A Reporter with Special Forces in Africa.
- When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Machetes… and Trains. Violence is where you find it, we guess.
- And we wish you Happy Thanksgiving from WeaponsMan
- Wednesday Weapons Website of the Week: The Selous Scouts Home Page. A rare post that drew exactly zero comments.
We then took the day off, with no posts (instead of a usual Thursday’s four) on Thanksgiving Day.
- We visit a factory Where RPDs are Reborn as Semis.
- Update on a tragedy that didn’t have to happen: Tank Destroyer Fatalities — Caused by Bad Reloads?
- A feller could get hurt on that thing: When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Murdercycles.
- Hey, when you know you’ll never be held accountable, you can leave your firearm any-damn-where. Another Negligent Fed, Another Murder Victim.
- A roundup of stuff that didn’t fit in the week’s posts: Friday Tour d’Horizon, 2015 Week 47.
- SARCO has Bren Gun Kits! With barrels, even, for the MkI and MK.3 (albeit a Mk.2 barrel with the Mk.3).
- Failing Upward at the VA. Where else does getting named in a criminal investigation get you promoted? MS-13?
- “Who not only did her family wrong, she did every one of them in”: When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Antifreeze. (Thanks Tom & Tom for the quote — Lehrer and Kratman).
- We really liked this Saturday Matinee 2015 047: Bridge of Spies (2015). See it while you can, the cast and crew earned your movie money.
- That Was the Week that Was: 2015 Week 47 — this post.
Last week, we expected this past week to be a little thin on posts. It was, but on a week when relatively few were reading, anyway. We expect next week to be a return to ordinary with an ordinary 27 posts and 300-odd comments.