But given that the best guide to future performance is past performance, I wouldn’t wager on them being up on time this week. But look at the bright side: they’re up.
The links are not yet live; to find the posts scroll down.
The Boring Statistics
This week saw what might be a new record of over 21,000 words, much higher than last week (14,000). This was both because we had more posts (27 versus 22) and that the mean post was longer (800 versus 620) We continued to exceed our target of 19 posts (3x day x6 days +1 on Sunday). Comments were over 100, driven by good reactions to some of the gun-technical posts. For some reason, while the first Import Marks post got a lot of comments, the follow-up didn’t. (We’re guessing the first was picked up by GunWire or GunFeed).
Most Commented Post of the Week
We had two heavily commented posts (by Weaponsman.com standards) this week. Those were one we expected to spawn discussion and links (What’s so special about John Moses Browning?), not to say it was exactly linkbait, and one we thought was too dry to do that, but really got folks going, (Why Import Marks are under discussion NOW). Those two posts alone accounted for over 20 comments. We get it: you like information-dense, link-rich technical stuff that isn’t on other gun blogs.
You do know writing that kind of post takes longer, yes?
The Week in Posts
Here’s the recap of our posts for this week:
- We observed it was an Interseasonal Sunday
- …and noted that, FYI Saturday posts are finally up
- The question on all lips: What’s so special about John Moses Browning? We demonstrate a few of the ways.
- We note the End of the Line: F-111 Aardvark/Pig and say a few words about our own experience of the jet, still futuristic in obsolescense.
- Our long-running series notes that When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have baseball bats (again)
- Sometimes you gotta ask, Cop did what?
- We explain Why Import Marks are under discussion NOW
- And expose USMC moves to ‘crush’ defense lawyer in Micturating Marines case
- When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have flat tires. But they’ll be the same old crumbs.
- When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have screwdrivers (this is whay happens when you’re careless about scheduling).
- We offer the trailer for a Bonus Movie (must understand German): Patronenwald
- The follow-up to our other import mark post, we discussed Import Marks and Values
- And When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have scissors too.
- We report on HP in the schools!
- Toggles II: Some we missed, and why toggles? follows up an earlier post, mostly with information revealed by our commenters.
- General Amos sez about The future of the USMC: there’s a lot of ‘crushing’ coming
- We thought this was just in Dudley Do-Right cartoons, but When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have trains
- Cops and Cauterization — y’all be careful out there.
- Look, the Jehovah’s Witnesses get up everybody’s nose, but This is not a defensive gun use
- DOD grudgingly admits malaria drug was bad a dozen plus years after the troops knew it.
- When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have toilets which is probably the most disgusting of these we’ve ever done.
- Update: Dog-whacking cop beats the rap. The jury has spoken (well, the judge has spoken with a jury instruction that amounted to a directed verdict).
- A brief and disturbing look inside the minds of Journalists and Douchebags. But we repeat ourselves!
- And this is why you guys tune in, right: Authenticated Little Bighorn Carbine at Auction
- When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have cheap cigars but they’ll never be cheap enough for the entitled, violent, and impulsive few, will they? Would you go to prison over 41¢? Of course not. But this guy will.
- Saturday Matinee 2013 40: 1939: Battle of Westerplatte comes from Poland with issues.
- And we’re back at That was the week that was: 2013 Week 40. See you next week!
How we did on last week’s promises
Not as well as we’d like, but about as well as we usually do. The overdue and the underdelivered:
- X A horror story from NJ promised originally now some five weeks ago.
- X A major post on Gerald Bull’s awesome space-capable artillery that seems to have entrenched itself on the back burner.
- √ To post 3 x day x 6 days. We exceeded this, actually
- One gun-tech post and one SOF/UW post per day. We were pretty close to this, but we had no tech post on 10/4.
- X To post a X WWWW, a X TW3, and a X Saturday Matinee, before COB Saturday. Well, we did get them two out of three up by Sunday.
- X One back Saturday Matinee. No joy here.
We like that set of promises and are keeping the same ones!
For Next Week
Our goal remains:
- to catch up the long-festering back posts mentioned above.
- to post three times a day, six days a week, of which:
- one gun-tech post and one SOF, UW, or war-related post up daily.
- a WWWW, on Wednesday.
- a Saturday Matinee, and a TW3 before the week ends at midnight Saturday.
- one back Matinee — at least.
See you with a TW3 on Saturday! (Honest, this time)