That was forecast in the weather, but is happening with life; instead of the forecast rainstorms, we have glorious, radiant sun.
Just the time for an assault of deer ticks on ourselves and Dog. Not to mention their six-legged distant cousins, the ants, which are determined in their multitudes to bring down the Manor, undermine the lawn, and annoy and irritate the householders.
We don’t believe in sharing a home with anything with more legs than us, with some small carved-out exceptions for Dog and Cat. (We are between cats. The wild calls, and around here, it then eats them). So we have called jihad upon the ants, and our wrath is terrible and our mercy nonexistent.
But they don’t care. They’re ants.
Ah, if ants were the only violence being done to the lawn. It’s also just the time for the jagged leaves and monster-clown flowers of several species of the evil genus Taraxacum to make their annual attempt to infect our fairway-like demense. Yes, it’s dandelion time, and our preferred method is to uproot them with this most excellent tool from Fiskars, which gets them 95% of the time (and the other 5% loosens them sufficiently that we can stick some fingers in the hole and pulle the thing out by the root). If you don’t get the root, you don’t get the plant, and in no time he’ll be partying with all his buddies and the whole senior class from Weed School.
Don’t know if we’d have bought the Fiskars claw for what they’re asking for it now, more than double what we paid, but most of that is probably the effect of the weak dollar. Box score: 557 dandelions pulled. (Yes, we’re quants around here).
And it is also the spring of our mechanical discontent. Just the time for the much-loved lawnmower to repeat its trick from last year and dump all its oil out of a crankcase seal. Result: stop with a clang, smoke of a fried engine emanating from the oil filler, probable bill: somewhere between an ACOG and an Elcan. (Yeah, we’ve been down this road before). For the next week or three while Dead Mower experiences a necropsy and the surgeon returns an estimate for its reanimation, we’ll be pushing a mower like Grandpater did.
Oh yeah, we’re cooking for 5, or 7, or some number like that. Pork roast and lots of veggies in the slow cooker. The pork inoculates us against Islam.
We’re still working on the ticks and the ants…