Here’s the entire webcast of Space X’s launch of a Falcon 9 / Dragon spacecraft to the International Space Station at 0939 our time (EST) today. So far so good: good launch from Pad 39, good recovery of the first stage to Cape Canaveral’s LZ 1, good deployment of all systems on the Dragon capsule. Those systems include power (solar panels), navigation (automated celestial with inertial backup), and propulsion. (Several burns will take place over the next 2 days to move Dragon from its parking orbit to an orbit in which it can safely and precisely intercept the ISS). It’s bringing supplies and experiments up (and will bring other stuff back down).
The weather’s not optimal for video; fortunately rockets are always ready for instrument meteorological conditions!
This is a big deal for us. We grew up during the first space race, and had a distant cousin working at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, who would send us NASA press packets. Were you nerd enough to have a meter-wide photomap of the moon on your wall?
Other than that, it’s a slow Sunday. We were up last night reading a long, involved, and almost unbelievable story of a guy in Massachusetts that had a criminal — his own brother! — and the courts and bar gang up on him and, essentially, bankrupt him (although he’s too proud to bang out bankrupt). Here’s the high points:
- While MA Guy was in the service, his kid brother, who’d always been a little “off”, murdered their parents with the help of a buddy. For the insurance money.
- Kid brother wound up pleading out to 2x Murder 2, and got 2 x 15 to life, plus “a year and a day on and after” for other related crimes.
- Kid brother hired a hitman to whack his accomplice as part of a scheme to lay the whole thing off on the accomplice and get out of jail.
- Because MA Law is strongly biased towards criminals, kid brother got about $50k of his victims’ insurance money, which he then used to engage in lawfare against his living family members.
- Since the 1980s, this lawfare has gone on, with every apparent end turning into another opportunity for the brothers, the lawyers, and the courts to loot the survivors.
- The victim brother’s lawyer has collaborated and colluded with the perp brothers’ lawyer — paid by the taxpayers, naturally — to keep the meter running, to the benefit of the lawyers.
- The bar association — generally a group of the most corrupt and unethical of the entire corrupt and unethical profession — support this.
- The judges — in MA, culled from the worst of the worst, as long as they’re in The Party — support this.
Lawyer. Tree. Rope. Assembles in minutes. And thank a merciful God that we’re out of that lawyer-rich but lawless Third World hellhole, and a have a kid brother who honors his (late) mother and his father.
Agenda for the rest of the day? Some writing, some PT, a walk for Small Dog — it’s lovely out! And some airplane work (we have promised to finish the landing light wiring, which Blogbrother defers to us, and there are parts to be primed when the weather’s halfway warm for February). And tomorrow it starts again!